If you don't already know, otak-otak is a Malaysian dish, a kind of fish mousse, made from fish meat and can be eaten on its own or with rice as an accompaniment.
In Penang, the otak-otak is wrapped in pandan (screw pine or pandanus) leaf and served steamed. In Muar and KL, it is wrapped in banana leaf and barbecued over a fire, like how satay is prepared.
That said, I've never come across an air-conditioned eatery that makes otak-otak its specialty. That is, until Otak-otak Place. I'm not sure how long they've been around, but they already have 5 outlets, and this is the first time I'm trying their food, at their first outlet in 1-Utama. It seems they are opened for franchise opportunities.
Their menu is extensive, with items like Fried Rice with Otak-otak, Fried Koay Teow with Otak-otak, Nasi Lemak Otak-otak, Otak-otak Burger....the list goes on. But when we took a closer look at the pictures and description on the menu, the fried rice, koay teow and nasi lemak had only a few slices of otak-otak on the side. They're not fried in otak-otak. At least, that's not the impression they gave.
Anyway, the reason I insisted that we tried Otak-otak Place was its Roti Jala Curry Chicken. The photo on the menu made me drool. Hubby said Roti Jala Curry Chicken is ordinary, something which we can eat everywhere. Well, I haven't been able to eat it everywhere since I haven't seen it everywhere, and I can't remember when was the last time I ate one. Years or decades ago? So good hubby acquiesced.
The 'ordinary' roti jala curry chicken that tastes.....well, ordinary. The curry is not that great, but I liked the roti jala. This dish was pre-prepared, and was served warmed. Price: RM7.90
The otak-otak roll. It's wrapped in popiah skin, and the otak-otak paste is mixed with shredded turnips, carrots and green pepper. It tastes wonderful dipped in the accompanying chilli sauce. I loved it! Price: 5.50
The Mee Rojak Mamak that hubby ordered for himself. He enjoyed it, giving two thumbs up for the dish. He said the ingredients were fresh, unlike some mee rojak mamak in Cyberjaya. Price: RM5.90
I had the Red Bean with Tong Yuen (rice flour balls). The tong yuen had ground peanuts and sesame seed paste fillings, one each. Nothing out of the ordinary. I like the tong yuen at Hong Kong Dessert better. Price: RM4.90
Hubby ordered teh tarik, which came with a crunchy biscuit. I forgot to take a photo before it disappeared into hubby's belly, or is it bladder? Where do liquid go to? Sorry, I never paid much attention in biology class! :D The teh tarik was RM2.70.
Overall, I'd say it was not a bad experience for RM28.25. Would we go again? I'm not sure. Perhaps for the Otak-otak Roll......
P/s: Otak-otak is not plural for otak, even though that's how Malay grammar works (double the words for plural). Otak means brain in Malay. I'm not sure what brain and the fish mousse has in common....perhaps its soft and squishy texture? If anyone knows where the word is derived from, feel free to enlighten us.
Address:
Lot LG-311B
One Utama Shopping Mall
Tel: (03) 7727 4181