Room Eighteen, one of the Tai Thong Group of Restaurants, first opened in April 2009 at Tropicana Mall. The restaurant offers Hong Kong style cuisine.
Last Saturday, not feeling well, I was in no mood to explore the myriad of restaurants at Hartamas Shopping Centre. I wanted only porridge and Room Eighteen seems like as good an option as any.
The crispy lotus root with salted egg yolk caught my attention right away. I love anything deep-fried in salted egg and I knew I had to try it. No regrets ordering this dish. The thin slices of lotus root coated in mashed salted egg yolk was unique and crispy. Truly delicious.
The deep-fried brinjal was not bad either, although I found it to be a tad salty and not so unique.
The fish and duck meat congee was superb. The fish fillet was thick and chunky and the congee was cooked in that perfect, smooth texture that Hong Kong chefs are famous for.
Hubby ordered the egg and beef congee....he loved it.
Michelle ordered the Thai soup rice or something.....sorry, I can't recall the name of the dish as I forgot to take the receipt...blame it on my unwell condition. Michelle was a bit disappointed with this, said it was not authentic. Hmm....well, it's not a Thai restaurant, it's a Hong Kong style restaurant, so I suppose they do not know how to prepare a Thai dish. :)
Simon ordered the spicy brinjal rice. I tried a spoonful and found it to be spicy.
Simon had the sweetened sago with mango for dessert. He was the only one who still had room for dessert that night. It looked good. They had some interesting desserts that I would have tried had I been feeling better. As it is, I could not finish my porridge even though it was good.
I would like to try their other dishes, especially their signature menu, when I am feeling better and could really eat.
Address:
Room Eighteen,
Hartamas Shopping Centre,
Lot G18 & G19, Ground Floor,
Plaza Damas,
Sri Hartamas