Search This Blog

Friday, 12 August 2011

Uncle Duck @ Berjaya Times Square

Uncle Duck is run by Chef Marco Ma, and specializes in roasted duck, Hong Kong steamboat and Hong Kong delights. We've been to Uncle Duck a couple of times since it opened many years ago and really liked the steamboat. Each customer gets their own individual steamboat pot, like the Ketam Steamboat at Ikano, both of which I did not blog as no photos were taken.


On a Sunday afternoon some time last month, we had to go to Berjaya Times Square to cancel the Digi broadband, which was getting progressively worse. We decided to have our lunch at Uncle Duck. But instead of the steamboat, we opted for those quick individual plates. After all, we didn't want to spend too much time over a meal.


My first exposure to beef with tomatoes was at Wong Kei, Wardour Street, London. Wong Kei was a cheap place for a student with a limited bank account to have a fast and decent meal when said student had a craving for Chinese food. You need to know their menu well, though, as they were good with some dishes and truly bad with others. The chefs and staff are all from Hong Kong, and they are famed for their brusque and rude manner.....that is, until you become a familiar face and they treat you better.


With that as my benchmark, I found Uncle Duck's beef with tomatoes a tad too sweet. My gripe is that the sauce tasted like ketchup with sugar, and nothing else. It did, however, motivated me to try to create my own beef with tomatoes dish the next week. It has been many, many years since I left London, and it wasn't easy to recall what Wong Kei's sauce tasted like. But I think I did a fairly close imitation. :)  My informal recipe could be found here. 


Hubby ordered the beef with egg, a dish he was first exposed to when he was a student in Toronto. According to him, it's close to what he had in Canda.


One thing I have to say for the Hong Kong chefs....they know how to cook moist, tender beef like no other chefs in the whole of Malaysia. 


We ordered a bowl of steamed egg each. It was a little overdone.


Hubby also ordered a plate of fish balls but he finished it before I got a chance to take my camera out of my bag. The total bill came to RM32.25, with the tomato & beef rice @ RM8.80, egg & beef rice @ RM9, steamed egg @ RM4.50 each, fish balls @ RM2.


Address:
Uncle Duck
Lot 03-107, 3rd floor, 
Berjaya Times Square, 
KL
Tel: (03) 2144 8998